It’s probably fair to say these rusks were a large part of the inspiration for Rockhoppin’ Recipes. They’re everything I love about rustic food – rough, chunky and packed with taste, they’re wickedly delicious.
480g cake flour
1½ tsp baking powder
200g bran flakes (roughly crushed)
100g pecan nuts (chopped)
½ cup mixed seeds (sunflower, sesame, linseed, pumpkin)
200g brown sugar (Muscavado)
1 jumbo-sized egg
250g salted butter (melted)
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease a large baking tray (I use the oven tray) with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, lightly mix the buttermilk, egg, butter and vanilla essence.
- Add wet to dry ingredients, and hand-mix thoroughly.
- Press mixture onto baking tray, and bake for 50-60 mins until golden.
- Cool in the baking tray, then turn onto a board and cut into rusks.
- Reduce oven temp to 100C, spread rusks onto a large oven rack (or back onto the baking tray, if no rack) and leave in oven for at least 4 hours, turning a few times.
- (*I like to then leave them in the oven overnight [temp off] to dry them out as much as possible.)
- Cool, and then store in an airtight container.
Makes about 30 rusks, depending on the size you cut them.